Remember, remember the podcast for November!
Dearest of listeners! On today’s episode we talk of different November traditions, and how they relate to us. References range from V for Vendetta to Star Trek, and from various histories to our own personal fantasies.
-H and S
Featured Songs/Musicians/Performers: (Entries may have multiple links. Click to hear, learn and buy!):
Tokyo Central (Yorba Linda)
V for Vendetta (2005)
Tending The Wild (2005)
Star Trek (1966-1969)
And Now For The Pictures!
PUMPKIN-SAGE BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- For the egg wash:
- 1 small egg
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking soda and powder, salt, cinnamon,nutmeg and sugar.
- Whisk to combine.
- Using a cheese grater, grate the butter into the flour mixture.
- Pour in the buttermilk and gently mix through with your hands or a wooden spoon until the dough just starts to come together.
- Add the pumpkin and mix through the dough.
- Dump the dough onto a floured work surface and gently pat until it’s about 1-1 1/2 inches thick.
- Using a 3 inch wide plain cookie cutter, cut out 6 biscuits.
- Place the biscuits onto the parchment paper, side by side, then eggwash.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
FALL GREENS SALAD WITH PUMPKIN SEEDS AND ASIAGO
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 bunches watercress, trimmed, leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 head red leaf or butter lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted pumpkin seeds
- 3 ounces aged Asiago cheese, grated or shaved thinly with a vegetable peeler
In a large bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, cider vinegar, honey, mustard and shallot. Drizzle in oil while whisking constantly to make a vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper. Add spinach, watercress and lettuce and toss gently to coat. Scatter pumpkin seeds and cheese over the top and serve.